It is easy to backup your personal information containing Contacts, Calender events, etc. to your Google account but when it comes to backing up text messages, it’s a little bit tricky as there are no methods yet to do it without installing a third party app.
You can use the app SMS Backup + and quickly transfer all your SMSes to your Google account. You can later view them using a web browser or transfer them back to your new Android device.
Enabling IMAP in Gmail settings:
- Sign in to your Gmail account and use their desktop site. Head on to SETTINGS by clicking on the Gear icon on the right.
- Click on FORWARDING AND POP/IMAP, scroll down and click on ENABLE IMAP
Installing the app and start the backup process:
- Now download and install the SMS Backup+ app (available here) from play store in your smartphone.
- Open the app and tap on OK to the information message.
- Tap on CONNECT and choose the account to which you want to backup your messages and tap on ALLOW ACCESS
- If you want to backup immediately, tap on BACKUP or SKIP for later.
- Wait until all your messages are backed up.
Viewing/Restoring the backed up messages:
You can now view the backed up messages in your web browser. A new label should appear in the sidebar named SMS when you log in to your Gmail account.
If you want to restore the backed up messages in your new Android device, install the SMS Backup+ app as usual and CONNECT to your Gmail account.
After the connection is done, Do not perform the first backup. Select SKIP and tap on RESTORE.