Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. The two highly anticipated smartphones of the year 2016 are unmasked today at the Mobile World Congress, in Barcelona.
The new models borrow liberally from the Galaxy S6’s design and feel, but there are a number of improvements and refinements under the hood.
Notable features of the Samsung Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge:
- Preloaded with the latest and the greatest from Google, the Android 6.0 Marshmallow with the Samsung’s TouchWiz interface on top of it.
- 5.1 inch Quad HD, Super AMOLED for Galaxy S7 and 5.5 inches Quad HD, Super AMOLED for Galaxy S7 Edge.
32/64GB of storage with a MicroSD card slot for extra storage up to 200GB
- A 12MP rear camera featuring lens with a larger aperture of f/1.7. The pixels are also slightly bigger, which should mean the camera will perform better in low-lit conditions where there is a need to take pictures without lighting up the flash.
Also, the sensor is the first on a smartphone to feature “dual pixel autofocus”.
Each pixel can be used to both record the image and determine focus enabling the phone to lock focus to an object more quickly and deliver smoother focus tracking in video mode.
There is a decent 5MP shooter for the selfies too.
- Water resistant with IP68 rating: can be safely immersed to depths of 1.5m (4.9ft) for up to 30 minutes
- CPU: 2.15GHz + 1.6GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 /Exynos 8890 Octa coupled with 4GB of RAM
- GPU: Adreno 530/Mali-T880 MP12
- Battery: 3000mAh for Galaxy S7 and 3600mAh for Galaxy S7 Edge with wireless charging and fast charging functionality.
- The “Always-on” display which shows time, images, calendar from the lock screen. Uses nominal battery life.
- Dedicated gaming feature enables the user to quickly record sessions, take screenshots, more control over gameplay options and a do-not-disturb mode to block incoming notifications
Both the Galaxy S7 and the Galaxy S7 Edge will be available in Europe and the US from March 11th, with pre-orders starting as early as February 23rd.